From 2011 to 2016 the Preffisio was my only bike, and served me well in my introduction to road cycling. I used it for many firsts and some epic adventures:
- First 100km (2011 Tour of Waterford)
- First century ( 2011 Ring of Kerry)
- Mizen to Malin
- Paris Roubaix (2016)
But in the run up to Roubaix the shifting on the front mech became trickier, and by the time I did Roubaix I could barely switch to the 39, and ended up spending most of the day struggling to find a comfortable gear.
I also bought the Specialized Tarmac SL4 at the same time (my present to myself for surving Roubaix!), so after we came back from France the Dolan was moved to turbo duties for the summer months.
But in the run up to Paris2Nice getting a second bike on the road made sense, because I would be without the Tarmac (getting it serviced, having it transported to France, etc). So while it was a bit of an investment I figured if I could find a good price on a groupset I would breathe life back into a great bike (the spring in the front mech was basically gone at this stage, and after 2 years with a smooth shifting Ultegra I was never going to get another triple).
I ended up finding a 10-speed Shimano Tiagra 4700 groupset online for €275, which my LBS did a price match on (I originally wanted to get an 11-speed Shimano 105, but since my 9 speed Mavic Aksium wheels could only cater for a 10 speed. Given the trickle down tech in 105 and Tiagra now, plus the cost to change the wheels, the decision to go Tiagra was easy. And as a bonus, I got a box back with the old Tiagra bits, for other projects!)
At a time when I was spending a lot on other bike purchases it was hard to justify a new groupset, but I’m delighted I did, as it’s like a new bike.
In the summer it’s on turbo duty for the odd Zwift session (I have a spare wheel with an old tyre fitted for such purposes), but for the autumn/winter months it’s fitted with Flinger mudguards, and is perfect for just getting in a few hours of fresh air.
At some stage I may change the cockpit up (perhaps a redshift stem & wave handlebar if I go touring again), but below is the build at it stands at present. It’s build at present is as below.
- Frame: 2010 Dolan Preffisio
- Shimano Tiagra 4700 Crankset 172.5 mm 50/34
- Shimano Tiagra 4700 Cassette 11-28
- Shimano Tiagra 4700 GS (medium cage) Rear Mech
- Shimano Tiagra 4700 10 Speed STi Lever
- Shimano Tiagra 4700 Threaded BB
- Pedals : Shimano Ultegra R6800 (these came from the Tarmac, which was upgraded to R8000 pedals.)
- Wheels: Mavic Aksiums
- Tyres: Vittoria Open Pave 27mm (Used in Roubaix)
- Bottle Cages : Elite Ciussi Gel
- Handlebars: Giant
- Stem: Giant 120mm
- Saddle: Selle Italia Max Flite Gel Flow
- Mudguards : Flinger F42 Deluxe 700 X 42 MM