May 19, 2013 by Mícheál
I’ve had a few reinstalls of my Windows 8 Pro machine for various reasons, and inevitably any audio coming from Chrome usually seems to stop after just a short while. Changing drivers, “running Chrome in Windows 8 Mode” or other such solutions normally works.
Rather I’ve done the following several times, and so far it appears to be a permanent resolution:
- In Chrome, select the Menu, near the top-right corner, then settings
- Click “Advanced Settings”
- Then, under “Privacy” select “Manage Exceptions”
- Scroll down to “Plug-ins” then “Disable Individual Plugins
- Then Select “Adobe Flash Player” and Disable.
ONce that’s disabled, simply go to Adobe.com and install the latest version of Flash Player. And that’s it! If you find this helpful, please just let me know in the comments below.
January 20, 2012 by Mícheál
My new laptop arrived earlier in the week (I’ll do a review at some stage later), and while setting it up I chose a user name with an English spelling, because of issues I had previously on my old laptop.
Originally on my last machine I had a user name with “Mícheál” as the user name (for non Irish speakers the accent over the “i” and “a” is called a fada. Alt Gr + “i” give the “í”, Alt Gr + “a” give the “á”). And while this caused no problems 99% of the time , there were 2 times it caused hassle:
- some apps would install apparently correctly but would have problems with paths
- dialling in remotely would cause problems if I didn’t have a keyboard configured as Irish on the remote side.
I could porbably work around the second point if I could rememeber the French version (the acute I believe, might need to check there are no accents needed for that!) of the letters. But it was the first point that caused the most hassle.
I use the SpringSource Tool Suite as my IDE for Java, which is based on Eclipse. But I eventually figured out that a lot of weird issues were arising from the fact that Eclipse (or in some cases Maven), were having issues in reading file paths with the fadas (ie c:\user\Mícheál). While some locations would show fine, others would render with garbage characters in place of the Irish characters, and in some places the characters were just stripped out completely (eg c:\users\Mchel).
Anyway, I’m sure there are proper work arounds (I just created a c:\sts folder and installed into that), but prevention being better than a cure this time I just created a user with all English characters.